Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Why?

Give,
and it shall be given unto you;
good measure,
pressed down,
and shaken together,
and running over,
shall men give into your bosom.

For with the same measure
that ye mete withal
it shall be measured
to you
again.

Luke 6:38

This may be my all-time favorite scripture verse, and here's why:

1. Images
I picture an old-fashioned general store, maybe like Mr. and Mrs. Olsen's from Little House on the Prairie. Someone behind the counter is measuring something good into your bag, and with each scoop, they're pressing it down, shaking it together, giving you so much that it's running over. That's how sometimes I picture the blessings of my life or the blessings I believe Heavenly Father wants to give us.

2. A happy MO
This is how I want to live and how I want everybody around me to live too. Whatever you have to give--patience, attention, compliments, support, happy vibes--give it in good measure. And then I believe it'll come back to you that way too.

3. A more flip view
I have five children, about whom you will hear much. Five--a small number when it comes to, say, dollars, plates, fingers, books. A big number when it comes to people who expect you to meet their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. Sometimes I do indeed feel pressed down--with worries, with obligations, or with the sheer physical mass of five children's bodies. And "shaken" just seems to describe my emotional state, my mental focus, and the condition of the objects in my home. Like if a giant grabbed our whole house and shook it, this is what it would look like.

4 comments:

  1. Looove it, Ang! It looks like you're on your way to being a great blogger! When I first saw the name of your blog I was totally confused - but now I totally get it and love it.
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too..
    And I love you Ang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said!

    Welcome to the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela I just wanted to let you know that you blog is my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete