Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My big, bad, horrible, no-good day

Yesterday was the pits. I got a big resume order (federal resumes stink!) on an expresss timeline, had a client who wanted a revision, then got another order from a repeat client who is very high maintenance. So by about 9:00 in the morning it was clear I basically needed to work all day--which is somewhat problematic given the five kids who need attention. Fortunately my in-laws are here to help me out, but still, I spent all day with a knot in my stomach, composing retarded resume-speak sentences, and ignoring the kids, who ended the day neglected emotional wrecks.

I got a little notebook to follow President Eyring's advice about remembering God's influence in our lives:

Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized.



There were, actually, many blessings in my life yesterday. One being that I earned some money. Another being Brenda helped me with the kids or I would never have gotten that order done. Another being all the work Skip got done in the yard to make up for Mark working on the dissertation and never doing work in the yard.





Skip and Logan do some damage to a dying tree. Logan got to pull the branch down as Skip cut it. The coolness of the job almost made up for the fact that they did it in a nasty cold rain.






















But as I went to bed and reflected, as President Eyring says, on "the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today" all I could think was how grateful I am that life comes packaged in days, and that each day ends and you can start a new one in the morning.










After Sunday dinner, Roscoe enjoys his newest cousin, Nicolas. Jesse plays piano with Haley and cousin Ariana.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your day... but I adored that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jesse's little onsie-d booty in the last picture. I don't know if he really was, but I picture him playing that song "you shake my nerves and you rattle my brain, this kind of love drives a man insane, you broke my will - oh what a thrill, goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!" (which now that I type out the words I really see a bit of a crass meaning)
    Anyway - I doubt his piano skills are that advanced, but that's what I picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed your link over from Tracy's.

    Your post was excellent, but I was so disappointed to see your use of the word 'retarded.'

    I know that this is a very popular word these days. It is used to describe very dumb things and has become a very hip word to use to insult somebody.

    So many of us tend to forget that those with cognitive delays understand the word retarded and how it is being likened unto them.


    The word 'retard' in all of it varying forms.......hurts. As any Mom of a child who happens to be cognitively delayed.

    Feel free to delete my comment. It is your blog and the bottom line is you have every right to use what ever words you would like on it.

    I just thought I'd share the view from the other side of the fence with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, tammy and parker. I know you're right about the word and I generally don't use it or let the kids use it. It does match my feelings about yesterday. I know I'm a bit relaxed about terms for children with differences. I went to a class on mixed-race families (I have a Hispanic daughter) and everyone spent the whole time complaining about people making what seemed to me to be innocent and curious comments. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion.

    ReplyDelete