Sunday, November 18, 2007

Creamed

Mark drives his car to church for morning meetings each Sunday, so we drive home in two cars after church, and it generally turns into a race. Once I almost got a speeding ticket, but I got the van closed in the garage and the kids and I were lounging nonchalantly in the living room by the time Mark and Roscoe pulled up.



This time, Mark and Logan won the race, and this is what we found posted on the garage door when we pulled in:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~



The high council speaker today quoted the following excerpt from Joseph Smith--History. Joseph is describing the measures he took to guard and protect the golden plates. But the high councilor suggested we think of this as describing our children and the "best efforts" we should exert to protect them. I thought it was a great comparison, and I love thinking of the children as precious treasures that I'll do anything to safeguard.



the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to me with this charge: that I should be responsible for them; that if I should let them go carelessly, or through any neglect of mine, I should be cut off; but that if I would use all my endeavors to preserve them, until he, the messenger, should call for them, they should be protected.

I soon found out the reason why I had received such strict charges to keep them safe, and why it was that the messenger had said that when I had done what was required at my hand, he would call for them. For no sooner was it known that I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me. Every stratagem that could be invented was resorted to for that purpose. The persecution became more bitter and severe than before, and multitudes were on the alert continually to get them from me if possible. But by the wisdom of God, they remained safe in my hands, until I had accomplished by them what was required at my hand. When, according to arrangements, the messenger called for them, I delivered them up to him; and he has them in his charge until this day.


1 comment:

  1. I always purposefully avoid those "racing" situations since two of my car accidents were caused by that exact thing. So watch out!
    I LOVE that scripture put to that use! The imagery is just so ... real. That Satan is using everything he's got to "get" them from us. Scary but so true.

    ReplyDelete