Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Systems II

Yesterday I received what has become my most effective organizing system: The More Time Moms Family Organizer. My mom sent me this calendar for last year, and I still can't get over how helpful it's been. Each day has a big, lined square, so there's room for everything from "Karate 4:45" and "send veggies to school" to "pick up Sarah from preschool" and "tacos for dinner." Plus it's only $15.















Ever heard the rhyme, "Wash on Monday, Iron on Tuesday, Mend on Wednesday, Churn on Thursday, Clean on Friday, Bake on Saturday, Rest on Sunday." Here's my version.


I've divided the house into zones, and whatever cleaning time I have that day gets spent there. Ironing and churning don't happen at all, and washing happens every day. As you're probably aware, my house is never totally clean, but there's an oasis of progress made every day, and if I stick with the routine, no one area ever gets totally out of control.

So what's your system for the thankless and doomed pursuit of a tidy house?

3 comments:

  1. I have no present system. Which is why my house is in fact - a disaster. But you have inspired me to mimic yours. A room a day seems like a good way to do it. I'll start that right after Thanksgiving when normality resumes in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Churning? Do you make butter?

    My system is to clean the entire house on Sundays, with hubby and teen help. There's something satisfying about starting the week with a clean, orderly house, and something spiritual about me cleansing myself inside and out on Sunday.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-ha...
    If only I'd read about this system about a year ago, then perhaps I wouldn't have an entire home that could be delcared a national disaster...
    I thought as the kids got older they would be able to help out more.. silly, disillusioned me.
    :))
    Cool beans!
    Slainte~
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete