Monday, November 12, 2007

Recipes for Marks

My brother Mark says he wants me to post recipes. The Joy of Cooking says, "This recipe could not be easier." True. Also a real crowd-pleaser with the kids and pretty cheap if you find your drumsticks on sale.

Oven-Barbecued Chicken

Position rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Rinse and pat dry:
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds chicken parts

Season liberally with:
Salt and ground black pepper

Have ready:
1 cup barbecue sauce

Cover cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place chicken on foil and brush with 2/3 of the sauce. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip, paint with remaining sauce, and bake 20 minutes more. (If you're like me and never remember to take the chicken out of the freezer in time to thaw fully, plan on baking for an hour.)


My friend Mark Crane requested a repeat of this one. I got it from Enrichment meeting. It's a nice recipe because it's done cooking just as you finish assembling each batch of ingredients. I usually double or triple it and freeze the remainder for another day.



Tortilla Soup

1 c onion, sliced
1 T oil
1 4 oz can diced green chilis
1 package taco seasoning
2 1/2 cups chopped tomates, pureed (I usually use canned)
6 c chicken broth (or use boullion cubes)
2 c frozen corn
2 c chicken or turkey, cooked and diced (or a can)
1/3 chopped cilantro
tortilla chips and monterey jack cheese for garnish

In large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil 3-4 minutes. Stir in chilis and taco seasoning, cook 1 minute. Add tomates and chicken broth. Bring to boil. Add corn and meat, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Ang! I'm thinking the soup sounds great! Mark Crane is my new best friend on face book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm into pantry soup recently. I've always got random good stuff in my cupboard. So I just throw it together. Yesterday was red beans, corn, rice, and canned chicken. Not bad.

    Your chicken does sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete