Sunday, November 11, 2007

Slodge (n.)

The sad fact is today has been a slodge. No, I don't believe that's a word, but if it were, it would mean long, uphill climb. Mark is partying with old friends in Philly and NY--oh yeah, and attending a conference on Joseph's Smith's political thought. I got 5 kids to church by 8:30, managed 40 more kids through the annual Primary sacrament meeting program--doing some strange sort of yoga to slide off my chair and move the correctly-sized stepstool into place for each child--did Junior primary sharing time, Senior primary sharing time, lunch....



I realized last night that the key to happiness on this long Sunday afternoon would be providing absorbing activities--like a total family Lego fest or reading aloud. But I never had the chance. I spent all my time putting out fires and disciplining the perpetrators. *sigh*



Two bright spots in the day: Since the three middle kids and I were sitting on stand with the Primary, I told Rosoce to sit with his friends after he passed the sacrament. Jesse sat with some friends. After the sacrament, I looked up and saw Roscoe holding Jesse. His big brother sense of responsibility had kicked in and prevented him from glibly flitting off with friends.

Jesse is a major handful in sacrament meeting, but I watched Roscoe expertly handle the situation. My heart swelled each time I saw my oldest offer up his tie to entertain my youngest.



Second, we did manage our happy Sunday tradition of chocolate chip cookies. Which can heal many ills.



3 comments:

  1. You know we'd still be willing to take Jesse off your hands. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Roscoe has come a long way since the days of pushing him around in the back of a dump truck in your upstairs apartment in Logan while he was still in diapers. Seems like just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cute red hair. It's just too much. I think even I'd be willing to take him off you hands. -And I already have one of my own!

    Good gracious - just imagining what Asher and Jesse could do together if they put their collective 18 month old minds to it is really alarming.

    ReplyDelete