Friday, February 15, 2008

Parenting Digest

1.
This study from Notre Dame indicates that our children are happy to learn about our religion from us, if we'll only tell them about it.

In our culture, talking about religion is so gauche, worse than talking about money or s*x or gross physical ailments. But unless we do make our religious feelings clear, we'll be drowned out by stronger competing voices.

2.
This one from a BYU study says that oldest children get thousands of hours more attention from the parents--and that's not just when they're babies. The study compared children aged 4 to 13, and the attention difference adds up to 20-30 minutes a day.

My heart has really been pricked by this, and I resolve--among other things--to give my second-born more individual attention when he gets home from school.

3.
A friend told me about this next one, so I can't document. She says the study compared adult siblings and found that the greatest predictor of the closeness of their relationships as adults was not how well they got along as children but how much time they spent together as children. So those hours of bickering bear good fruits.

For other studies that support contentious and messy families, see this post.

1 comment:

  1. Those each strike a chord. I do think, however, that my second born is thrilled about the way he slips under my radar. :0) Furthermore (in my chain of self-justification), my first born needs/wants the attention more than the others, and the attention he gives the others helps make up for the attention I don't give them.

    I do try to go on "dates" with each child, even just to the grocery store, and make the most of the alone time.

    ReplyDelete