Sunday, March 23, 2008

Roadtripping

Friday the kids and I--sans Mark--drove to the McGee home in Albuquerque. It was a long day and we arrived mostly unfrazzled due only to the fact that Skip (my father-in-law) met us in Farmington and drove us the last 3 hours.

It's been a long time since we did a family roadtrip and Friday reminded me why we love it so much. There's something about sitting quietly while the road slips under our wheels and the landscape passes slowly by. I contemplated lyrics from Cat Stevens and the Grateful Dead. And we were all together. Family togetherness is something I generally don't need more of, and I often wish to have periods with less of it, but I loved having all the children right around me all day long.

The real clincher was that the kids were all great. Jesse didn't scream the whole day long, which is amazing since he's not a huge fan of carseats. I couldn't take my eyes off the road to help with the innumerable requests for water, dropped binkies, snacks, etc. Roscoe and Logan stepped right in and were patient helpers. Roscoe even cued up the tapes I requested.

After a fun and exhausting weekend with the grandparents and Markus, Shanna, Sammy, and Annie, we head home tomorrow. Let's hope the spirit of happy roadtripping stays with us.

2 comments:

  1. Been wondering where you have been - glad to hear you had a good road trip. There's something therapeutic about "zoning out" on the open road. Nice when the kids actually are old enough to help out a bit. Wish you could have made that trip a little further (like 2X further) to come visit us here in TX - we certainly are anxious for the good times that are sure to await us when the weasels and squirrels meet in glorious reunion.

    Has Levi committed his goals for the trip to paper? You know they are much more likely to be accomplished when written? Possibly a blog post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys are having fun. May you have no blown tires or flu on the way home.

    ReplyDelete