Saturday, May 3, 2008

Suburban Saturday & Simple Pizza

Today was all that's best about happy family life in the 'burbs.

Mark and I dug out a big planter area and installed landscape fabric. I'd show beautiful "after" pics, but our Mexicans never showed up with our mulch! We are a bit sheepish and a bit proud that of the 4 houses on our block that have installed mulch planters this spring, we're the only ones who did the work ourselves. We both spent some hours on the end of shovels, hoes, and rakes. I love enjoying the fruits of our labors.

The kids were good sports and played happily with each other while Mark and I worked. And they chipped in quite a bit as well. Roscoe mowed and tended Jesse. Logan raked sticks from under the trees and succeeded in getting his room all the way clean.

For dinner we had homemade pizza. Not quite the cachet of delivered pizza, but pretty tasty nonetheless. Here's my recipe for fast and simple cheese pizza:

Dough
1 1/2 cups warm water
4 t yeast
4 cups flour (you can use part whole wheat)
1 t sugar
1 t salt

Dissolve yeast in water. Add remaining ingredients. Knead. Cover and let rise 5-90 minutes. On floured surface, divide dough into three lumps, one smaller than the others. Roll out the two larger lumps to pizza pan size. Bake 5 minutes in 400 degree oven. (I usually roll the first lump, then bake it while I roll out the second.)

Pizza

On baked crusts, spread 1 can crushed tomatoes. Cover with mozzarella and fresh parmesan. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves. Bake about 10 minutes more til brown and bubbly.

Roll out third lump. Spread liberally with butter and cinnamon-sugar. Bake about 10 minutes until golden. Serve as dessert.

After dinner, everyone pitched in for a Saturday-night tidy. We vacuumed and put away toys and folded some laundry. Then we started the bath rotation. Haley and Levi each took separate baths, then Logan and Jesse bathed while I combed Haley's hair. Mark and I did some mild yoga twists and stretches to limber up our sore muscles.



Now everyone is clean. Jobs were well done. We're ready for a night of deep sleep and a happy Sabbath.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! We can't get good pizza here so we've made it...but I still buy the pizza crust. I'm afraid of yeast. I'll have to try your recipe some day when I'm feeling brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound quite blissful. Good job doing the work yourself. That's hard work.
    And I'm with Becky - yeast is scary.

    ReplyDelete