Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Irrational but Heartfelt

OK the Flemings have moved on. *sniff * why?* Now I'm staging for the next chapter of our Summer Extravaganza: Me driving 5 kids 986 miles to my parents' house in Plano, Texas. The idea is that we'll fete with adoring grandparents and fun cousins while Mark attempts the feat of writing an entire Ph.D. dissertation.

We're very excited about the trip. We haven't been to Plano in years. There are tons of cousins (mine and the kids') plus Joe and Jessica's farm...but we'll be separated from Mark for almost 4 weeks. Actually he's trying to talk me into staying for more like 6 weeks. This the man who whines like a baby if I leave him for 48 hours. It's the desperation of the deadline.

You know those moments--irrational but heartfelt--where you think for a moment that you'd like to be living a different life? Any life but this one? Suddenly I realize, I like my life, and my house. And my husband. Six weeks sounds like a long, long time.

6 comments:

  1. Awwwwwww. 6 weeks IS a long time. So is 4 sometimes. (Sheesh - sometimes one DAY is a long time!)

    Would it help if I said I'd come visit you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focus on the end result for the whole family - having the dissertation complete and lots more of Mark than you have had for a long time. You can do it. We are here to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked into roundtrip trainfare? It might take a bit longer than driving, but it would probably be more comfortable and it may be more cost effective.
    Definitely less wear/tear on the vehicle....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm planning on about $500 round trip for 6 people, that's a no. But thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck!! It may be hard, but think of it as an experience you and your older kids will never forget...even if there is trauma along the way. When do you go? We'll be in ABQ July 11-15th, but I'm guessing you will have passed it by then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a long time! I hope everything goes well and your husband actually gets everything done.

    I'd be so lonely without my husband for that long, but I guess the five kids will keep you pretty busy!

    ReplyDelete