Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Color of Blood

I sat behind the curtain watching blood seep across the folds of Jesse hand. The redness looked unnaturally bright against his pale skin. He had found an x-acto knife in a drawer, grabbed it in his fist, and waved it around until it sliced, neat and deep, into the pad of his index finger. A short drive down the road and competent medical staff cleaned it up and made three little black stitches.

I hadn't taken a child to an emergency room for more than three years--a miracle, all things considered--but this little incident made me see anew how precious to me is each drop of blood, each bit of skin of my children. It's amazing that the infinity of Jesse--his personality, his spirit, his potential--is housed in that little body of skin and bone, and how one wrong move could let all those things come spilling, irretrievably, out.

P.S. -- The nurses found it noteworthy that I stood next to Jesse while he screamed through his stitches. They said some moms hide in the waiting room, too cowardly to watch their children suffer. Ladies--if you haven't got the backbone to look your baby in the eyes during his time of need you may need to reconsider your profession.

7 comments:

  1. oh no, no no! babies with knives! So scary! I'm glad he's okay, all things considered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom's don't stay with their kids? Holy cow that thought is just...wrong! Of course it's hard to stand there and watch - but I think it would be even harder to NOT stand there (I might not actually WATCH what the Dr's were doing. I'd just watch my baby.).

    Anyway, I'm so glad Jesse is OK. How scary. I bet Mom and Dad feel awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my poor Jesse! :) So sad to see that little finger in stitches! We miss you guys terribly!! Taylor keeps asking about Hailey and Jesse. Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. And I loved your PS - SOOO true! That was the same reaction I got from the Primary Children's nurses when zach had to have an iv put in his scalp. They gave the the option of waiting in the lobby while they did it - I looked at them like they had lost their mind. Who does that???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give my Jesse a kiss from his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saddness!!! Poor Jesse. Sounds like you have been down there long enough that the real world is catching up with you. It got tired of waiting for you in West Jordan. Hope the next few weeks get back to fun so you can end on an up beat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love you. I've been through enough stitches and broken bones to raise the eyebrows of child protective services, but you tell the story well enough to send a chill down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor lad - hope he's feeling better now. Our family take sandwiches to the hospital now - we've been to casualty so ofen now!

    I can't imagine any parent not staying with their child though - I am needle-phobic, and I'd still stay - it's just what you do, isn't it?

    The Broken Man

    http://theblogofabrokenman.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete