Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Playing Cards with Grandma

Here is my Grandma Benac.

She lives in a little apartment built onto the side of Mom and Dad's house. Whenever one of the kids needs a bit of Grandma lovin', they just knock on her door and are welcomed with crackers, Butterfingers, and extravagant compliments. My favorite is when Haley goes in to "fluffle" Grandma's cards with her fancy shuffle machine.



Grandma and Grandpa were major forces in my childhood. They definitely knew how to establish their expectation of righteousness in their grandchildren. When I was in college, Grandma would give me 800 numbers to call her (back in the days before cell phones) and then call to scold me if I didn't use them enough. I have always known that my Grandma loves me and is praying for me, and sometimes that really means a lot.

These days Grandma isn't as sharp as she used to be. But she still knew "Bono" was the crossword solution for "Lead singer of U2." And she still plays a mean game of Hand and Foot, a crazy game involving 262 cards.


When it started to appear I would give Grandma a run for her money, she shouted gleefully, "I love you!" According to this book, in which she records the scores of all her games, she hadn't been beat for two weeks!

Look at the size of this book! Maybe a hundred pages of game scores, and that's only for this year! Grandma has always claimed her card games and crossword puzzles keep her sharp, and who's to argue?

Our Hand and Foot game was made possible by Jack, of the always-delightful Allred clan. Jack kept Roscoe and Levi happily occupied all the day long. Lord of the Rings Monopoly, Bionicles, and boyish chitchat.

Meanwhile, Jesse trotted around in his shoes and hat.

2 comments:

  1. You know she wants you to play to the best of your ability, but I still feel bad when I win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it sure does look like things have calmed way down since we left. That's a good thing, I think. Enjoy somewhat of a schedule and normal life!

    ReplyDelete