Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Heaven Help Us, or The Rug Finds Redemption

This is one of those stories about a momentarily unattended two-year-old, chaos, and butter.

I walked up from the basement to find Jesse sitting on the rug in a field of butter. Two square yards of wool with covered, clumped, and massaged with butter. Lots of it.

And who did I feel most angry with? Poor innocent Haley. Little Miss Nose-in-Everbody's-Business, who on this occasion sat quietly on the couch and tattled not one word while she watched her brother fetch a carton of butter from the fridge, bring it into the playroom, unwrap first one stick, then another, then a third, and a fourth, and smear them deep into the rug fibers.

Where oh where is that sonar that triggers me to holler, "ROSOCE GET OUT OF THE PANTRY!" from upstairs when he carefully eases the door open to sneak a snack? How did I miss the sound of Jesse the Red pilfering the fridge?

Haley, however, was wise enough to continue saying nothing while I heaved surly sighs and muttered things like, "I don't even know how to start cleaning this!"

But finally, as in life, redemption was found. The dirtier side of the rug had been facing up, and while I was at it scrubbing butter, I scrubbed the whole thing, and now the dirty side has become the clean side. The weak things became strong. The rug is drying in the sunshine, Jesse is napping, and I've lost the will to grumble at anyone.

5 comments:

  1. Whatever can one 'comment' on such an act. We just keep lovin'them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how do you get butter out of a rug? I may need to know for future reference.
    Ugh, Ang. So sorry. I guess you better have your sonar checked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. I would've blown a gasket! Sounds like you handled it well! I once had a butter-eating incident with one of my kids...I gave up on clean up, and just threw the item away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh heh. At least he's creative. And how DO you get butter out of a rug?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd be in the "throw the item away" category. But wow, what a positive take on the matter!

    ReplyDelete