Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We reclaim the bachelor pad

I drove and I drove and I drove. And I drove. For hours upon hours. I began to think I might die if I drove for one more minute. Then I thought of "Going on a Bear Hunt": "Can't go over it, can't go under it. Oh no! We've gotta go through it." So I drove some more. And then, finally, we were back home. We were gone for 6 weeks.

My first thought when I walked in the house was, "I like this girl's style--why, that's just the paint color I would have chosen." Then I began to notice things, little signs that this place had had a vacation of its own, masquerading as bachelor pad and pit stop instead of domestic haven.

Exhibit A: The pretty pot of flowers on the front steps



















Exhibit B: The fridge



















Exhibit C: The mail



















Exhibit D: Certain areas of the lawn



















In his defense, Mark did a great job maximizing his dissertation time. He rarely came home from work before 10:00. So our trip was a success on all levels. The kids had a blast, Mark made great progress, and I feel I was able to do some good for my family in Dallas. Now if my parents can only shovel themselves out from the detritus we left behind!

7 comments:

  1. Baw, kasagad-sagad sa iya ubra blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! So is the free online lotto comment, just another example of being taken over by bachelor-ness?

    Welcome back to good ole Utah!
    Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! The fridge! I am shocked! I thought Mark was into the uber-healthy food. The pile of Hostess Stuff is further than even I, in my junk food loving days, would go! It's a good thing you're back Ang or he might turn into that goo in the middle of a Twinkie! (You know... you are what you eat!)

    (This is meant in a very teasing tone. I don't get many chances to tease Mark since he is mostly so infallible.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fridge picture really makes your whole post! I laughed right out loud!
    Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Home!!! I bet it felt so good to finally be back home that you didn't mind all the work you had to do to put things back in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could handle six weeks! Yikes! But I'm glad you're back now!

    Poor plant! Poor Mark's cholesterol! Poor you for having to go through all that mail!

    ReplyDelete