Friday, September 19, 2008

Fall Harvest

You know the joke: Why do Utah Mormons lock their car doors durng church?

Answer: Because otherwise the car will be full of zucchini when they return.

This Sunday we came home to find a huge zucchini on our doorstep with this note: "We cannot take care of our zucchini. We hope you'll give it a caring home." It really was the size and shape of a swaddled baby. Jesse cradled it in his arms and called it his baby. And when I turned that zucchini into 16 cups of grated sludge, he watched all the while shouting, "My baby! My baby!" So that's the kind of foster family he thinks we are.

So we--and all our neighbors--are enjoying plenty of zucchini bread. Here's my mom's recipe.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs, well beaten
1 c oil
1 c sugar
2 c raw, grated, peeled zucchini
3 t vanilla
3 c flour
1 t salt
1T cinnamon
1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 c chopped nuts.


Combine wet ingredients. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in nuts. Pour into 2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.

Meanwhile, here's today's harvest from the tomato garden I planted late and then abandoned all summer:

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard that joke before! How funny. I can't believe you grated Jesse's baby! But I think it's adorable that he thinks you're that giving. I guess he's not too far from wrong though since you did take in the zucchini and help it fulfill it's divine destiny.
    I think I need to go to the store and buy some zucch's now. That bread dough looked good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so funny! I'll have to try this recipe some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mouth is watering looking at those tomatoes! Mine still haven't turned red yet.

    ReplyDelete