Sunday, October 19, 2008

What did I do on my weekend away?

Stay up until 2:00 am blogging with Josh.

Take off my earrings, set them on the nightstand, and find them exactly where I left them the next morning.

Eat fried s’mores at the Texas State Fair.

Fear for my life--literally--as I hurled face-first toward the ground because I tried to be a good sport big sister by joining Josh on a scary ride at the fair.

Watch a pig race.

Hear my Dad call me a “raving beauty” and “a lovely person”; enjoy having Dad in my corner—even if he is delusional.

Teach Brant my children's names.

Hear children cry and do nothing about it.

Critique 30 peoples’ resumes at a Women for Hire conference.

Try on every pair of jeans at JCPenney’s and find one that actually fits.

Help Josh choose two new ties.

Eat beef brisket while visiting with 2 dozen cousins, aunts, and uncles.

Play two rounds of Hand and Foot with Grandma.

Run through the neighborhood with Josh delivering flyers for Clear Sky Handymen.

Make pancakes to lure everyone out of bed.

See Josh's Navy commendation ribbons.

Listen to Jesse giggle "Goodnight, Mom" over and over on the phone.

Introduce Mom to Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin; observe that Tina Fey is an equally good Mom look-alike.

Try and fail to carve out time for a heart-to-heart with Joe.

Realize with increasing sharpness that 48 hours at a time with family is not enough.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Even if it was just 48 hours, it sure sounds like fun! I want to visit with Josh and go to the fair and leave my earrings on the nightstand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're right - Tina Fey totally could do a great Mom impersonation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time. Rejuvenating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got that 48! You really deserved that and more.

    Re: the post about Mark being gone. I don't think you should feel guilty about getting into a comfortable groove without Mark--you'll all make room for him again when he's able to be there. In the meantime, you have to make a life for yourself and your kids. It's just the reality right now. Your attitude is a great example to all the bishops' wives out there. (Ha ha...I almost put that apostrophe in the wrong place.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I showed Tina Fey to my mom last weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete