Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Why I'm thrilled Obama is our next president

Well of course there’s his commitment to driving the inevitable and necessary transition to non-petroleum energy sources. And the fact that he has a vice president with nearly unparalleled expertise in foreign affairs and, even more important, a clear understanding of the dynamics of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. And that I heard his people bend over backwards to avoid saying that his opponent’s VP lacked the above. Plus, he has demonstrated a clear-eyed focus on what’s right over what’s expedient, and he doesn’t waver from it under political pressure. For example, when Hillary Clinton proposed a pandering gas tax holiday over the summer and McCain jumped right on board, Obama said, “This isn’t a real solution. This is a gimmick.” Thank you!

But maybe the biggest reason I have a bit of a spring in my step today is the refreshing breeze of optimism and hope I felt wafting through the election celebrations last night. In the last eight years our country has been tarnished. And while McCain's meta-narrative is always about fighting against the enemies surrounding us, Obama’s discourse rests on currents of opportunity, cooperation, positive energy, and hope:

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is
our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our
kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the
American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are
one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and
doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless
creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes we can!

7 comments:

  1. Every time I see that big bold "YES WE CAN" I think of Bob the Builder. And my kids are too young to know what that show is, so that means I watched it by myself. No wonder I have no friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new blog banner! You know I love a good chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you live in Utah? I hope so because it's so great to hear a Mormon say they are thrilled that Obama won, rather than "I'm so scared!" or "He'll take our guns!" or he's a baby killer. I much prefer a grinning red-haired baby that says, "I be nice my bama."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a Mormon in Utah, and I too am thrilled that Obama is in for many of the same reasons. I actually voted third party, because of tax policy. Bit I love Obama's anti-lobbyist rhetoric and many other of his ideas. I just prefer that money to be floating around investing in business and employees in the economy rather than going into government coffers that are unable to account for billions of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, well said. I guess my vote canceling out yours on election day didn't do much good eh? :) You make great points and are, as always, very articulate and inspiring! I love the new banner and can't wait for a post every day...I will be watching!

    ReplyDelete