Monday, December 22, 2008

Just About Perfect

The bottom line is that my life is as perfect as anyone as a right to hope. Every night I tuck into a big bed in a warm house full of healthy, well-fed loved ones. The list of "if onlys" that sometimes runs on loop in the back of my mind doesn't change the fact that I have love, peace, safety, and plenty.

Exhibit A: I finished Christmas shopping for my children, paid all the bills, paid tithing, and filled the gas tank. I never blog about money because it's too depressing and gauche, but I'll tell you that the above is not always the case in our family, and having it taken care of is a huge blessing and relief.

Exhibit B: Our neighbor and friend, a mother of three, died this weekend. On Friday morning she was a normal person sending her kids off to school. Now she's in the cold ground.

So suddenly I see more clearly that everything I don't have is nothing compared with everything I do have.

4 comments:

  1. Amen. I am sorry to hear about your friend too--I am sure you will be of great support to her family at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful thought (well, except for the sad part). I am sorry about your friend. But I think that closing line of yours will run through my head as I fall asleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I know how hard that is and how that can make you reflect on what you DO have. It's such a wonderful feeling to realize how blessed you are...much better than the feelings you get when you look at all you don't have.

    ReplyDelete