Saturday, December 20, 2008

Yellow

So of course Mark and I went out last night, and usually Roscoe would babysit for us, but he got a call to babysit for real money for another family, so he did. Meaning that Logan got to babysit his siblings for a little while before Roscoe got home to take over.

Logan was thrilled with the opportunity to demonstrate his prowess and responsibility. He said excitedly to Mark, "Do you trust me?" And we thought, "Uhhhh."

So we sat down with Logan to lay down some ground rules, and he chimed in, "You know what my number 1 rule is? HAVE FUN!" And we thought, "Uhhhhh."

I mean fun is great, but fun includes swinging from chandeliers and spooning brown sugar from its container and luging down the stairs.

In the minds of Logan's first-born parents, contenders for Rule Number 1 would be:

  • Be safe.
  • Follow the rules.
  • Be nice.
  • Keep an eagle eye on Jesse.
  • Don't make a mess.
  • Stay out of the kitchen.
"Have fun" probably wouldn't hit our top ten. Mark and I know how to have fun, but lots of our fun is had along the way of filling responsibilities. And we're pretty dyed-in-the-wool proponents of work-first-play-later. And yet poor Logan's Number 1 directing principle in life is HAVE FUN. More specifically, it's HAVE FUN RIGHT NOW. In the Color Code personality test that's all the rage here in Utah, Logan is pure yellow.

So we told Logan all about how this was an opportunity for him to build trust that would lead to greater freedom and responsibility. And how if we came home to happy, unscathed children in a tidy house, then he'd get more such opportunities in the future.

And, man, did that kid deliver.

When we came home, Roscoe and Logan were enjoying a movie together in a very tidy house indeed. They kind of looked like parents enjoying kid-free evening time. The kids were all tucked into their beds. Both boys were pleased with their night's earnings and their own maturity.

4 comments:

  1. That is fantastic--now you have TWO babysitters! I love the line in the results for the yellows: Life is the party and you are the host. That is the perfect description for Logan since he really is fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is incredible. If that were my child I would probably be moved to tears of sheer gratitude and awe. My oldest is only two, though, so for now I have to cry over too many dirty diapers. Congrats on your awesome parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to have a back up babysitter! Sounds like you handled that just right.

    As for the flowers--that was Mike. I complimented him with "it takes a real man to send another man flowers."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work raising those kids, Ang. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'll take Roscoe off your hands for a while anytime.

    ReplyDelete