Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Other Shoe

So now I can tell you the other part of our dramatic day last Tuesday. That night Mark was called to be a counselor in the bishopric. The call itself was a beautiful experience, and the stake presidency member who talked to us told Mark how his life of taking care of his family, keeping the commandments, and filling his callings is his testimony and that the Lord sees his efforts and loves him. Mark's parents came to town this weekend so Mark's dad could ordain him a high priest. It was great to have them here.

We've really enjoyed the last two months of post-dissertation respite. And things won't be anywhere near as bad as they were. We think Mark will generally be gone only Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays--and he'll still eat dinner with us on those days. I really feel strongly that callings are a blessing for men. Men often have fewer opportunities to give service than women do (I myself have opportunities for service from son up to son down). I always feel very blessed by Mark's callings.

7 comments:

  1. Echo on the son up bit.

    Congratulations to your family, I agree that a priesthood calling is a tremendous blessing to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Congrats to Mark. Not suprizing though now is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. You'll both be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new here! What a great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great Angela! I know Mark will do very well in that calling, he is a wonderful, spiritual family man. And you are a wonderful, spiritual family woman who will be a great support to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "on up to son down" That is very clever. I love reading my creative children's BLOGs. You are a jewel among women, Angel!

    ReplyDelete