Sunday, May 10, 2009

For Mother's Day

When I became a woman and mother, I learned that there were many things I didn’t have to learn. My Mom did them, and by the time I needed it, I could too. Here are some of the things I learned how to do by osmosis and example from my Mom:


~ sweet-talk a child through the scary parts of a movie ~ knead bread ~ advocate for a child at school ~ organize a Primary sharing time ~ conduct an IEP meeting ~ get to church on time ~ accept a Church calling ~ make do ~ make ends meet ~ have fun with the kids at free parks ~ create a chore chart ~ plaster the walls with inspirational and instructional messages ~ stand up for myself ~ cut through red tape ~ blow on a baby’s feet before sticking them into footie pajamas ~ bite off a baby’s fingernails ~ direct traffic ~ take kids on road trips ~ gather everyone for family prayer
~ choose one TV show to follow ~ handle it ~ make custom draperies ~ decorate fun birthday cakes a conduct Family Home Evening ~ sit on the front row at Church ~ design on a dime ~ be a trouper ~ insist on early bedtime for the kids ~ enjoy having too many kids and not enough money ~ insist on attending kids’ games, concerts, assemblies, and events ~ resist letting my home or myself look totally ravaged by children ~ get through Sacrament meeting without a bag full of treats and games ~ multitask ~
Thanks for your footsteps to follow, Mom.

7 comments:

  1. Liz and I are sitting here together enjoying this post. You are a blessing in our lives. Thank you for sharing the photos and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a nice tribute, such a great example. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an uber-sweet mother's day blog post -- one of my favorites I've seen. Poignant, succinct and so truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that first photo. What a babe our Mom is! My favorite is blowing on baby feet. Isaiah still likes me to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, especially the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was just beautiful. She must be so proud of you. I can't believe how much you look like Jesse in that photo. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those photos. They are a treasure.

    ReplyDelete