Wednesday, June 3, 2009

20 Years

Today is the 20th anniversary of the massacre at Tiananmen Square. Which means this week is also 20 years since I graduated from high school. The TV footage of tanks and bloody students was the chilling backdrop as I attended graduation parties, received awards, and contemplated my new life as a college student. “Bright futures” are the worst cliché of high school graduation, but Tiananmen Square made me see the brightness of my potential futures. I lived a life that was blessedly free from fear, oppression, or violence.

Things I have done in the last 20 years:
  • attended a production of the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-upon-Avon, England
  • laid out the stone floor for a schoolhouse in altiplano Bolivia
  • read Levinas, Irigaray, de Beauvoir, Woolf, and Foucault
  • marched in protest
  • fallen in love
  • gotten married
  • learned that being different is less important than being happy and helpful
    given birth
  • been published
  • moved—too many times to count
  • bought 3 houses
  • been in the presidency of the Young Women, Primary, and Relief Society
  • started a business

5 comments:

  1. That's quite an impressive list for 20 years. Once again Angela...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to remember your graduation. Humbling, indeed. Some day you need to tell me all about your trip to Bolivia. I only remember how cool I thought it was that you were doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You protested?!? What, pray tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined protest march in front of the BYU administration building after they fired 2 popular and controversial professors. It was national news at the time since at least one of the professors was fired largely because of her political views, not because of any academic shortcomings or failured to comply with church/BYU standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've done a lot. That's quite a list. Wonder what you're going to do in your next 20 yrs?

    ReplyDelete