Friday, June 5, 2009

Flapping in the Breeze

So yesterday afternoon they told us that we were selected for a one-year-old girl who needs foster care. She comes from a Spanish-speaking home. She has 2 bone fractures that occurred on 2 separate occasions. The parents say they don't know how it happened. She's staying with a relative right now so she's safe, but the relative won't/can't keep her any longer. I don't know her name.

My next step was to call the case worker who would give me more info and work out when and how to make the transition. So I called and left a message that afternoon.

This morning I crept around, eyeing the phone. I left another message. I did some internet research on spiral fractures.

Then I realized that state workers in Utah have Fridays off.

10 comments:

  1. Oh that is too annoying. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And can I just say, for some reason your title lends itself to thinking about passing gas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too awful! Would they really just abandon a child mid-toss-up? What if whoever she's with now really can't handle her or isn't taking great care of her? Clearly she should already be with you! You would take care of her! Bring her over NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee hee. thanks for voicing my illicit against-the-rules-for-foster-parents thoughts, nanc.

    but really, I think they think she's perfectly fine and that they can enjoy not having to rush this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I'm jumping the gun a little, but...woo-hoo! Roko would have a cousin the same age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pins & needles, girl. Pins & needles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kelly, almost exactly the same age. her birthday is may 1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope everything goes through. I would be a little jealous, but that's okay, maybe by switching to CPS, we'll actually get a placement (we've been waiting for 9 months!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why we refer to these things as "the system."

    So when someone comes to collect a child who they suspect has been abused, they say "we will place you in a better environment, M-F, 9-5 unless it is a holiday in which case we will get back to you??"

    Wow. It seems like there would be people on call for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DOH! What an interminable weekend this must be.

    ReplyDelete