Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I was a marine biologist

I have two children who tell lies. Lots of mischief goes on around here that I take generally in stride as part of the family package, but dishonesty makes me mad--and truthfully, it hurts my feelings.

Both these kids adjust the truth when the truth might get them in trouble. And--here's the tricky part--they buy into their own deceptions and convince themselves that really and truly it was the other's person's fault / they did the best they could / it was an accident / they didn't know / they didn't do it / whatever. It takes some pretty intense wrangling to help them admit the truth even to themselves.

And that's what I've been doing today.

The slim silver lining on this cloud is that I have developed a pretty effective internal BS detector.

Honesty Quiz
Name the character with each of these honesty issues:

  1. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
  2. In that moment, I was a marine biologist.
  3. I only lied about being a thief.

7 comments:

  1. I know #3, no problem. #2 sounded familiar and was bugging me so much that I Googled it. And guess what, your blog post is already the top hit for that quote! And #1 I Googled too, since I was already Googling, and couldn't come up with anything. Too common a quote. But I'm picturing a cartoon charecter saying it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you need to be a bit older than Nanc to remember the TV personality who made the one famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well it seemed kinda fishy that i'd be the top ranking, so I googled some more, and it turns out the accurate quote is "IN that moment, I was a marine biologist." but maybe I'll just leave it as is--then other people who make my same mistake will find me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know any of them. I'm a pop culture failure.

    Lying makes me really mad, too. My three year old lies about washing her hands after going to the bathroom. Grrrrrrrrrrr. She hides her hands behind her back, which makes it easy to tell, so my BS detector is slowly tuning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know number 2 and 3. And Jen--you should get yummy scented soap and have her bring you her hands to smell, then you will know if she washed or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are the answers:
    1. Stuart Smalley, of Daily Affirmations fame on SNL, played by now Senator Al Franken.

    2. George Costanza of Seinfeld

    3. Danny Ocean (George Clooney) on Ocean's 11

    Jenny, nice idea on the scented soap sniff test.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 a character from juno???
    #2 george costanza, who also taught us, "if you believe it, it's not really a lie."
    #3 Danny Ocean

    ReplyDelete