Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nothing left but Christmas

Things we've been focusing on other than Christmas:


1.

Last weekend, Mark and I celebrated our seventeenth wedding anniversary. Which means that in a few months, I'll have been married to Mark longer than I lived with my parents. On occasion we look around and think, "Good heavens, what have we done?" but more often we look around and think, "Good heavens, look what we've done!" We're pretty proud of the marriage and family we've built.


I remember a BYU professor talking about the joys of older love, of the intimacy and connection and joy that come through years of work, love, cooperation, and family-building. Now I think I know more what he means.


Mark--through a combination of his sweetness and my coaching--gave me this lovely etsy necklace:



It says, "yo te amo."


2.
Also last weekend, my mother came to visit. She dutifully and joyfully gave attention to each of the kids. And they, of course, slurped it all up.


3.

Logan was ordained a deacon on Sunday. As a Mormon, now that he's twelve he crosses into manhood--or at least manhood training. He showed a lot of dignity and respect. We are very pleased with the young man he's becoming.

The three birthdays, the anniversary, the visit from mommy--all were fun. But now there's nothing on the calendar between me and Christmas! We're snuggling in for a week of relaxation, snow, and cookies.


And one more tidbit: Jesse snuggled into a cozy flannel blanket, cuddling his teddy bear--with his finger on the trigger.

7 comments:

  1. I love the etsy necklace! so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congrats on 17 years! That is so wonderful. And the necklace is awesome.
    What a great pic of Mom and your kids.
    You have got to blow up and frame that pic of Jesse. And there must be some photo contest somewhere that pic can win. Pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am at the point where I get super-excited every time I see in my Google reader that you have a new post on this blog. Rarely (if ever) am I disappointed. The finger on the trigger bit is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Jesse pic, one of the best of all time!

    Congratulations on your anniversary, we are pretty amazed with what you have built too.

    Can't wait to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the trigger pic. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I served a Spanish speaking mission; the necklace is a gem.

    PS: I wonder if I sat in the same BYU class, learning about Marriage & intimacy?

    Thirteen years later, I, too, am grateful for my husband, for our sweet marriage. I think I know what the BYU professor means, too.

    ReplyDelete