Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sad

I think I’ve told you before about when I woke up from a D&C procedure after losing a pregnancy and the nurse asked, “How do you feel?” and I said, with more honesty than she intended, “Sad.” The nurse responded, “Sad is okay.” Meaning that there in the hospital sad was acceptable as opposed to, say, the feeling of blood running down your legs or your heart seizing.

But I’ve always remembered “sad is okay,” because it is. Alma tells us that God’s people mourn for each other. Despite his holiness and infinity, God wept over a few of his wicked people. Jesus wept along with his grieving friends. Angry, ashamed, frustrated, unsure--these are all feelings that often clue us in to our own shortcomings or need for change. But sad sometimes means we’re doing the right thing.

3 comments:

  1. Glad I follow you on Twitter now, so I get it. Too bad it's February. January and February are just so dreary. Anything else added to that is just a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my dearest girlfriends had a D&C once after a miscarriage. She woke up to a living hell. (Looking back, I think she was in shock, emotionally & physically & didn't realize it.)

    My heart goes out to you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete