Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happenins

Of Plates & Planned Obsolescence

These are the pretty plates I bought at WalMart of all places. I love them. When Roscoe was little I carefully chose a timeless Corelle pattern, thinking that I could be like my mother and have the same Corelle plates throughout my homemaking years. Then they discontinued the pattern. So then I would buy replacements on ebay for a fortune. These were cheap, so I bought plenty, and when half are lost or broken, I guess I'll get new dishes again.

Of Cookies, Spoons, & Heaven

This is the Family Home Evening we did using my pretty plates. I was getting sick of the me-me-me attitudes around here, so I put together this spread of delicious treats. You could have as much as you wanted, but you couldn't 1.) help yourself or 2.) ask for something. Meaning the more people served others, the more everyone could enjoy. Which is my philosophy of life (and the theme of my blog).

I also told the kids this story, which I had never realized was from our friend Ann Landers.

Of Plies & Industrial Food Storage

Little Miss Haley just finished her first-ever dance class. She did very well and was adorable pointing her pink-clad toes. Much to my sister Nancy's disgust, I did not ever buy her a tuu-tuu.
I never had a tuu-tuu and I think I turned out just fine, thank you very much.

Of Awards and Smirks

Yesterday I attended the assembly to award Logan "Leader of the Month" for demonstrating all of the 7 Habits of Happy Kids a la the Coveys.
This is how a big ol sixth grader feels about such things:

7 comments:

  1. I love your plates! I may just go buy myself those green and white ones.

    And Haley DOES need a tutu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love your FHE idea. You're so clever with those things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would just like to mention my love for those dishes. Very lovely. I am not allowed to buy dishes for a very long time, having assiduously hoarded them as a college student working in a gift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't turn out fine, you refuse to buy your daughter a tutu!!

    But I love your plates and I guess Haley will survive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dishes:) Great FHE idea too. I will have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every girl deserves a tutu! There is something magical about the way it flows out when you spin. It makes the most "tom-boyish" girl feel like a princess. Please, please buy her a tutu...and perhaps one for yourself as well. You'll be amazed at how it will make you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for planning FHE for us!

    ReplyDelete