Saturday, April 10, 2010

Project Verdant Oasis: Phase One

Next project: Turning this dirty wasteland into a verdant oasis.

Year by year, our back lawn has thinned and receded. Last spring Mark and I tilled and seeded--twice--to no avail. So the kids basically roll in dirt, and track it all into the house. Jesse's favorite pastime is to drape himself belly down over a swing and trail his fingers and toes through the dirt. It looks peaceful and all, but then he comes into the house! This year--thanks to our tax refund--we're breaking out the big guns.

Phase One: Major tree pruning to let in more sunlight.

We do love our big trees and our cool yard, and I'm already missing the leafy branches that no longer bob outside my kitchen window. But Phase Two involves topsoil and sod...soft, green, clean sod!

2 comments:

  1. I hope it works! We just hired Scott's lawn service for the front and side yard. But I couldnt make myse4lf pay for them to do anything int he back since it is already pretty much just dirt. Maybe next year we can deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I feel about this. I have good memories of backyard meals. So... I guess we can just build some new memories.

    ReplyDelete