Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Invictus

Sorry for leaving that downer hanging for so long. Here's something more uplifting. Roscoe, Mark, and I just watched Invictus and loved it (of course). Here's the poem Mandela references as guiding his vision and keeping him afloat during his long imprisonment:
Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

~ William Ernest Henley
How often do we let "circumstance" and "chance" (and puppy puddles and bills and burned dinners and rude receptionists) dictate the level of our honor? I love (but cannot live) the idea that we can show strength, virtue, and love no matter looming horrors or black nights.


2 comments:

  1. What? You are totally an example of living like that! Maybe you fail in the small puppy puddles of everday life area now and then - who doesn't? - but in the big areas I've never seen you so much as falter.

    ReplyDelete