Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Project Coda

So here’s what happened: I was sitting in sacrament meeting one generic Sunday when a prompting fell upon me like a giant drop of water falling onto my head—ploop—“You should get pregnant.”

“No, no, no,” I scoffed. And over the next several days all the reasons why this was impractical, uncomfortable, expensive, and unrealistic cycled through my mind. But I had walked through an invisible wall, into the land of “You should get pregnant,” and there was no going back.

As I’ve said, Mark and I have felt guided and directed at all of our lives’ major junctures, and even when the prompting has told us to do crazy things like get married, have another baby, become foster parents, or finish that Ph.D., we’ve followed through and always been grateful for it. So despite all objections, get pregnant we did.

This may seem to you like pretty banal news, but it feels like a big deal to me. A twenty-five-year old with two or three kids announce she’s pregnant and receives an “Awww, how sweet!” and a “Congratulations!” A thirty-eight-year-old who already has five kids? She gets, “Uhh, was this on purpose?” And that’s what people say. Quietly, they’re thinking, “Aren’t you a bit long in the tooth? Aren’t your hands full already? Isn’t that kind of crazy?” Now every time I’m frazzled or disheveled, I’ll be providing the world with evidence that I’ve bitten off more than I can chew.

So I’m ten weeks pregnant. And they’ve been rough weeks. I’ve spent them lying in what feels like a drug-induced stupor of exhaustion, clenching my teeth and clutching icy glasses of Diet Pepsi. I’m feeling much, much better now and ready to rejoin the land of the living.

We announced the news to the kids last night for Family Home Evening, and they were very excited. Levi keeps coming up to me and snuggling my stomach. Haley keeps saying, “I hope it’s a girl!” while the boys respond flatly, “It won’t be.” Last night, Logan announced, “You sit here while I clean the kitchen, for I am your fateful [sic] servant.”

Mark and I have been calling this baby Coda, because it is our grand finale.

12 comments:

  1. You are seriously an amazing person! The Lord tells you to do something and you do it. I need to follow your example more. Thanks so much for sharing. So exciting! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! Congratulations! I was hoping this was the news. You two are such wonderful parents you deserve to raise all that you can. This baby will be so lucky, although she probably won't walk until almost two--I can't see her sibblings ever letting her on the ground long enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I think when I hear this news is: Hooray for big families! Hooray for one more woman of strength raising one more child who will grow to his/her full potential on Earth thanks to awesome parenting! Hooray for another child who gets to be so lucky as to have Angela and Mark as parents.

    Congratulations!! (And I love that you're calling it Coda.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited when Rob said you announced it on Facebook last night. I could then just imagine you at the work party looking at my pregnant belly and thinking secretly "You're not the only one..." Plus I love March babies (September, I've decided, just is not my favorite) because you miss the winter sicknesses and you're not hot, fat, and ornery in the summer. Plus we'll have sweet babies 6 months apart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Ang! You are the awesomest mom ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! That is GREAT news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I am just happy. Thanks for sharing your joyful news, and your spiritual perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!!! Six is a great number, trust me! :) And this baby will be a great blessing to you and your family. We are always blessed when we do the Lord's will. Does this mean you are not looking for a foster daughter anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Banal news?! This is HUGE news! And SO exciting! A grand coda it will be! A Beethoven coda for sure - because he, like, blew everyone's minds with his disproportionately long codas that seemed completely unrelated to the rest of the piece, but they were so awesome that they were celebrated and he was hailed a genius rather than being rejected for doing something unprecedented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, snap! That Ruthie has such awesome musical skillz. Now I love that you're calling it Coda even more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! Six children is a lot, but from everything I've read on your blog, you and Mark already do great with five (you are one of my blog inspirations for good parenting - I love your ideas, and candid stories of your children, both good and difficulties), so I'm sure you wont' be a large family that people complain about, but rather stand in awe of. My bishop has six children - and it goes three girls, a boy, a girl, and then finally another boy. You could yet have the same arrangement, but opposite (although for myself, I have three girls, and I find myself assuming we'll only ever have girls.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late to the party since we've been away on vacation/in isolation. Wonderful news!!!!

    ReplyDelete