Thursday, September 23, 2010

My Girl

We're still hardly able to believe it ourselves, but it's a girl. I know! Who really believed it could happen?

I have to admit, we're very pleased. Mark and I both wanted a girl. We've loved all our boys, and we've loved having Haley. But it definitely feels like this family could use another girl, and I've never, ever had a baby girl--not even a foster baby girl. In fact, I can hardly remember even holding a baby girl. My sister Nancy observed, "They're like mythological creatures to you." And they have been. But not anymore.

Roscoe, Logan, and Haley (of course) were also pleased. Jesse was skeptical--I think he can't picture a baby girl, either. Levi literally fell onto the ground in dismay. "I really just need another brother!" he claimed, though I can't imagine why.

She looked great on the ultrasound. An adorable little nose in profile. A spine like a string of pearls. Leg bones and arm bones and toes in all the right places.

Don't hold me to it, but as we drove away from the office it really felt like this girl's name is Elizabeth Gold. Elizabeth is my mother's name. Gold is Mark's mother's maiden name. I think we'll call her Betsy.
Me and my girl, 16 weeks

10 comments:

  1. You look great (despite your smirk). Nice shirt.
    We're so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo! I'm so happy for you! I know the feeling of thinking you can't make a girl and then finding out you were wrong. It's great! You are going to be so in love with this baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's because I voted, and I am the oldest of three girls in a row, followed by a boy, and then two more girls. J/K Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Nanc, that's the smirk of concentrating on holding the camera.
    Sarah, I know you know just how it feels.
    Jen, thanks for everyone's girl votes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!! I am so happy for you guys! Haley is so excited she told me she gets to share her room and all her hair bows and she said this with the biggest smile on her face :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited for you! How fun for Haley to get a little sis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Angela, my mind is reeling. I KNEW it was a 50/50 chance, but still.

    Elizabeth Gold seems perfect. I hope she is exactly like you, golden Angela.

    I have a lot of thoughts about little Haley, right now. I think I'll email them to you.

    ReplyDelete