Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Seasons and tipping points

Autumn in Salt Lake is bittersweet. Almost everyone agrees it's our best season of the year. The sun shines and the temperature hovers right around 70. The air is clean and clear (unlike our summers and winters). The colored leaves make the world look alight.

But the joy is always tinged with doom. Fall means winter is right around the corner, and our winters are gray, polluted, and loooong. One of these days a storm will blow in and that'll be the end of sunshine and balmy breezes. A few more weeks, and everything from earth to sky will be a uniform gray, the ground covered with piles of dirty slush. All the way til March.

That ebullience tinged with doom is kind of how I feel about my life right now. I'm not tired, not nauseous, not sore, not bloated, not having contractions. It's so great! I'm working my way through all sorts of deep-clean tasks, like touch-up painting all the bedrooms and hallways, organizing closets, canning fruit, making new drapes, dusting all the bookcases, cleaning the oven...I'm leaving all these little nooks of beauty and order so that in a few months when I'm too [fill in the blank from the list above] to be productive I can rest on my laurels in a well-organized home.

Hence the doom. One of these days, my hormones and body mass will hit a tipping point, and everything will change. Tired, bloated, and gray. All the way til March.

7 comments:

  1. And here I'm looking forward to the the glories of skiing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But oh how the sun will shine in March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could write like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, March will bring sunshine and baby girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gotta love that nesting instinct. I'm just resting on my laurels in a cluttered, disorganized home. That urge to ready yourself is a beautiful blessing, isn't it.

    I love the way your writing sheds so much light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a way with words Angela. That's exactly how it is:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was having similar worries about a grey winter approaching--and I don't get a baby out of it until May. That will really be spring for both of us!

    ReplyDelete