Monday, December 13, 2010

A Sad Tale

Friday morning I stood in the bathroom, filling the sink with my tears. All week long--despite ear plugs, Tylenol PM, and extra pillows propped around my body--I was kept from a good night's sleep by a combination of jumpy legs, sore hips, and overly active family members.

After my worst night yet, I faced Friday morning filled with exhaustion- and hormone-fueled despair. After I got the kids off to school, I pep-talked myself into just taking the first step of putting my contacts in--then at least the world wouldn't be vague and blurry. I got one contact in before I had to stop to weep some more. Pitiful.

And that, my friends, was when I realized I was really not okay. But what could I do? I was too sore and jumpy and uncomfortable to even take a nap. There was nothing doing but to keep on keepin' on. So that's what I tried to do.

The day was not a great success.

Friday night we got out the air mattress. Everything you normally hate about an air mattress, how it hammocks your hips, was great for me. I lay there and realized that for the first time in recent memory I actually felt comfortable. After a decent night's sleep, I tell you I was a different woman. Not superwoman, not ready for a jog. But functional. Competent.

I didn't cry once all day.

6 comments:

  1. Well at least the sad tale ended happily. I had a sad day the other day, mostly just hormones, and Grace was very concerned about mom being unable to quit crying. Luckily, I have come to a dry spell as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok air mattress it is! Thanks for the idea :) glad your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow glad to hear that your despair was temporarily stayed. Bummer, but congrats on the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really hate it when it's a great relief that I *didnt* cry that day. That just only happens around pregnancy/small baby times. Man, those hormones...they'll really get ya. And sleep... sweet sleep ... I guess I should be happy for my 5 hour chunks that I'm getting now since at least I am dead to all during those 5 hours.
    You'll make it, Ang. Betsy can't stay in there forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding me of how much I have to look forward to, being only 10 weeks behind you. One time my OBGYN let me take an ambien while I was in the hospital, but it was because they were trying to make sure I wasn't in labor. Do you suppose it is safe to take when you are not hooked up to monitors? That was the best night sleep I ever had pregnant...

    ReplyDelete
  6. it always amazes me how much sleep has to do with my sanity.

    here's to a sleep filled holiday. (wishful thinking)

    ReplyDelete