Thursday, March 3, 2011

Still here

Nine months. 39 weeks. 274 days. I never thought I'd make it this long in this pregnancy.

But here I still sit. Even after the other night when I sat in bed clocking strong contractions every 7 minutes for more than an hour. In a normal world, that would be what we in the business call going into labor. But not for me. I was stunned when I woke up the next morning, still pregnant after a sound night's sleep.

I've had 9- and 10-pound babies and it's not something I'd like to repeat. This girl is plenty big and it's time for her to come out.

Fortunately, I now have an escape plan. Tonight, my mother arrives. When I told Mark she had bought her plane tickets, he literally jumped with joy. He made bugling noises and cried "The cavalry's coming!" I think he's worn out from doing double duty around here. So no more contingency plans for which kids will do what and go where if we go to the hospital when.

We've been discussing contingency plans for so long that now the kids look at me in the morning and say, "You're still pregnant?" When I say, "See you after school!" they say, "If you're still here." They make it sound like there's an imminent coup against a dictatorial leader. I guess compared to my haphazard performance of late, putting the household in my mother's capable and loving hands will feel to them like the fresh breeze of democracy.

If I don't go into labor over the weekend, I'm scheduled to be induced on Monday. I don't really want to be induced. I don't believe in inducing and I know inducing leads to more painful labors and a greater chance of a c-section. But my doctor has three related concerns that an induction would address, and she seems to have a relatively low-intervention plan in mind. And, if I haven't already mentioned, this baby needs to be born!

5 comments:

  1. I love Mark's reaction. It does feel like that when Mom is coming, huh? Especially when you really need her. I'm so glad she's coming. Now you really can just sit back and wallow in your almost-but-not-quite-labor. I order you to watch way too much Hulu this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to "if I haven't already mentioned, this baby needs to be born!"

    But my favorite line is "They make it sound like there's an imminent coup against a dictatorial leader. I guess compared to my haphazard performance of late, putting the household in my mother's capable and loving hands will feel to them like the fresh breeze of democracy..." SOOO true. Grandmas makes a huge difference!

    Now either relax and watch TV until your heart is content, or be pro-active: go for a long walk to push yourself into labor. Whatever is more appealing. :)

    (BTW, all the above suggestions are just mere ramblings... we just want to see a mother-daughter portrait SOON!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have an induction date. My due dates are Sunday and next Thursday, and I'm afraid I might go past both! Who knows.

    I am lucky that my stepmom and mother in law both live within a 15 minute drive, so we'll be waiting until the last possible minute to call in the cavalry.

    I am getting tired of trying to psych myself to last past next Thursday while people sympathetically say, "Are you just dying?" "You look like you are about to pop!" "Are you still pregnant?" Let's just pretend that I still have another week, which technically, I easily might! I need a really good distraction. May your girl come to you sooner than Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for the baby to come on her own this weekend for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a friendly reminder to blog. ...In return for a few friendly reminders on my blog when I had a new baby. :)

    ReplyDelete