Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shuck it and smile

At church on Sunday, a (very) young woman came up to me to tell me the happy news that she is expecting. She asked me my advice on morning sickness.

"It's been really bad," she told me.

I'm never quite sure how to respond to situations like this. I do have opinions and experience to share, but I don't want to cross the line from helpful to bossy. Plus, who wants to be the snarky, know-it-all old bag?

I mentioned sipping Diet Coke, taking half a Unisom before bed, and eating things like rice. But I couldn't find a gracious way to give my real advice about managing morning sickness, which would be something like: Just shuck it. Suffer through. And be happy about it.

In fact, that's really my advice about motherhood in general. And perhaps life in general. Some parts stink. They just do. Not too much you can do about it. But, you know, that's life. Just keep on moving. It's fine. A bit of pain/discomfort/exhaustion/frustration won't kill you. In fact, it's good for you. In this life, love, sacrifice, pain, and growth are all mixed up together.

"Eating toast has been working for me," the young woman told me. She concluded, "The morning sickness started yesterday."

Yesterday?

"Oh honey, things are gonna get a lot worse," thought the snarky old bag.

4 comments:

  1. Bwahahahaha. Love it!

    I also wish first time moms were okay with answering, "NO!!" when people ask, "Is she a good baby?" My first was AWFUL, but I didn't know that sometimes babies are very, very BAD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is exactly why I love reading your blog. Amen, amen, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I heard Sheri Dew say once that stuck with me - "Difficult isn't necessarily bad, its just difficult." I agree, the best things in life have all kinds of other "difficult" things mixed in with them sometimes, but that's life, and that's where growth is, and that's why we're here. Sometimes we just have to keep going and decide we're not going to let it get us down.

    And that is a smart girl to go to the mother of all mothers for advice. Someday when I ask you silly questions like that, know that its because I consider you to be the oracle of wisdom on motherhood, and in no way consider you an "old bag."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. Great life advice, but I guess there's a bit of snarky old bag in me, too bc I can't help but chuckle at the poor girls expense.

    ReplyDelete