Friday, August 12, 2011

Teens

Things I rarely do now that I have teens
  • Vacuum.
  • Unload the dishwasher.
  • Mow the lawn.
  • Hire a babysitter.
  • Take more than a couple kids to the store.
  • Watch a show or movie I can't justify the moral soundness of.
  • Clock out at eight o'clock.
Things I do now that I have teens
  • Drive endless circles around the church parking lot giving driving lessons.
  • Stay up late waiting for someone to come home.
  • Parent when they'll accept it, which usually comes after nine o'clock.
  • Discuss gender roles, sex, intimacy, real men, atheism, choosing a career, religious doubt.
  • Buy shoes and clothing in sizes larger than my husband’s.
  • Monitor shaving and use of deodorant.
  • Call my children "dude." (Somehow it softens the blow to say, "Dude, do your chores" or "Dude, that was lame.")
  • Watch tasteless youtube clips.
  • Spend hundreds of dollars to register for school.
  • Spend hundreds of dollars on groceries--frequently.
  • Listen to rap and pop.
  • Worry more.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this glimpse into the parenting of teenagers. I often look forward to having a babysitter, without even imagining all of the other complexities teenagers bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to everything. But I think I also laugh a lot more now that I have a teen. I love those sublime moments when we find the same things to be funny.

    ReplyDelete