Tuesday, May 1, 2012

That's a wrap


I’m done.  I haven’t nursed Betsy since last Wednesday, and I now declare myself officially done. So that’s it. No more pregnancies, no more nursing. (Knock on wood.) It’s over.

This body certainly is worse for the wear. The huge pregnancy bellies, the hours of nursing, the long labors have all taken their tolls. I do not look like I did when I got married twenty years ago. I do not look like anyone you’ll see on a magazine cover. We live in a world that disdains women's bodies that show any signs of real life as a woman. But when I think of my body, imperfections and all, mostly I feel grateful. And proud.

This body has done exactly what it is supposed to do--something I'll never take for granted. It grew my children’s beautiful, healthy bodies and minds. It fed and nurtured them. Look at the wonderful people I made! In the whole eternal scheme of things, this body has filled the measure of its creation. 

I'm certainly planning on getting lots more mileage out of this body and keeping it healthy and happy for years to come. But as I finish this stage of the race, let me say: Thank you, body. Job well done.

5 comments:

  1. Celebrate! Battle scars! See Joyce Tennesson's 'Warrior Women' pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, smoke trailing, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting WOO HOO what a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. go angela! it's always hard to close a chapter on life- but what an amazing one you had!

    I like marks comment. i often wonder what i would feel about my body without media/world telling me what is beautiful and what i should aim for.

    today i'm going to embrace the fact that i am strong and can carry two 24lb (ish) children football style in both arms to get to the car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to ponder more on the measure of my creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Profound words! And I like Mark's smoke tailing comment too.

    ReplyDelete