Thursday, July 19, 2012

6 Word Love Poem: June

When Mark was out of town a few weeks ago, I read something about 6-word love poems and decided to give them a try. Soon Mark and I were emailing our mini love poems back and forth each night. Since this is the year of our twentieth anniversary, I thought it would be fun to post one each month on our anniversary day, so here's the first one.

Put an idea out there? Yes.

This one is inspired by a hugely influential little conversation Mark and I had one spring afternoon on the BYU quad. It was finals, so BYU had this slightly manic, slightly desperate air. Which kind of matched how Mark and I were feeling about our relationship. We had been dating most of the year, always asserting it to be just casual. But my plan was to go on a mission after the summer, and we weren't sure if we'd ever see each other again. Suddenly, the stakes seemed very high.

I was sitting on the sunny lawn, when Mark came bounding up. He was wearing someone's blue-tinted John Lennon sunglasses, and he thought he looked pretty cool. He wasn't wrong. He flopped down next to me and said, "I want to put an idea out there."

"Okay," I said.

"Me and you making a family."

"What about it??" I asked.

"Nothing," he said smugly. "I just wanted to put it out there."

You can imagine my response: "What?! You can't just put something like that out there and not talk about it!" That was the first time the topic had been broached. And despite Mark's cavalier attitude, talk about it we did. We were married about six months later. 

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic. I can just hear Mark saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! i can't wait to read them.
    my friend did a post about 6 word love poems a few years ago. my favorite one (that is quite apropros for your post)

    Mormons get married to have sex.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard this story before! I can totally picture it, though! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I love you guys. Nicely executed on the family bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One word description of this post: magnificent.

    ReplyDelete