Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kitchen Day

One thing I've instituted this year is Kitchen Day. I decided I would devote an entire day each week to the kitchen to do things like soak and cook beans, bake bread, make freezer meals, try new recipes, bake granola, and all sorts of things that will keep our menu a bit deeper and yummier throughout the week. Here are some things I did on my last kitchen day:

Soak and cook garbanzo beans...

 ...then spice and bake them to make crunchy chickpeas, one of my favorite lunch snacks.

Slice apples for pie.
 Harvest tomatoes from my garden for this soup. Very yum.
 Run the dishwasher. Repeatedly.
 Consult cookbooks and pinterest.
 Make a big mess of the whole entire kitchen.

Good thing I had a sweet little helper to wipe the counters for me. 

I cannot get over the cuteness of this outfit. It's slaying me!!

I also made a batch of dressing for one of our new favorite meals. This dressing is so fantastic that it turns this salad into a gourmet treat. It's not a quick process, though. It involves zesting nine limes! But one batch is enough for at least three meals. (I divide each batch into thirds and freeze two of them for later.) And I'm telling you, this is an amazingly delicious and nutritious meal. You will be grateful for each and every bit of that zest.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Dinner Salad
with Honey Lime Dressing



Dressing:
6 T white wine vinegar
zest and juice of 9 limes
3 t cumin
3 t chili powder
3 t kosher salt
3 jalapeno peppers, cored and diced
3/4 c honey
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 canola oil

Mix in large mason jar. Can be made ahead of time. Serve over any of the following:

Salad:
brown rice
lettuce or fresh spinach
sweet potatoes
black beans
tomatoes
sweet peppers
green onions
cilantro
toasted almonds


1 comment:

  1. Whew. I like the idea of having "deeper" meals, and I could probably pull this off once. But the idea of doing it every single week has me inching slowly away from the kitchen. You're a devoted and hard working Mama.

    ReplyDelete