Friday, February 8, 2013

Jesse Gems


Last Sunday in fast and testimony, Jesse's Primary teacher from last year bore his testimony. When he began talking about the blessings of working in Primary, I feared we might be in danger of hearing something crazy about Jesse. When the teacher launched into an anecdote with "One of the kids was upside down in his chair ..." I knew we were in trouble.

The teacher continued, "One of the kids was upside down in his chair trying to bite his elbow. And I said, 'Jesse...'"

The whole congregation burst out laughing at the mention of Jesse's name. Which tells me that Jesse's reputation is farther-reaching than I had imagined.

Jesse babbles and blabs all the live-long day, telling about about every crazy idea that passes through his crazy red head. Here are some gems from the last few days. Most of them popped out of his little mouth a propos of nothing.


~ Betsy imagines you as a big fat hen.

~ Why can't we just squeeze the tentacles of a jellyfish to get jelly for our sandwich?

~ I'm going to make a book about slugs in love. (In fairness, Slugs in Love is a book he recently read.)

~ Me: Can you go do something for a minute that doesn't involve me listening to you? Just pretend I'm not here for a little while.
Jesse (running in frantic circles, screaming): WHERE'S MOM? WHERE'S MOM? SHE'S NOT HERE!

~ For bees, every day is deep-clean day.

~ If you bother a bee, it stings you. Like not if you stab it with a spear, but if you bother it.

~ (To Betsy, in a helpful, informative tone) Did you know, Daddy is growing old. So, that's bad news.

~ Mom, did you order my disguises and gas bombs? (For the record, I have not.)

~ I want my own submarine.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love this all so much! Thanks for giving all of us a wonderful little dose of Jesse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why haven't you ordered his disguises and had bombs yet? What are you waiting for? I love that kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't you ordered his disguises and had bombs yet? What are you waiting for? I love that kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The backwards, inside-out t-shirt just doesn't register on the radar with a boy like that. So cleaver and getting more hansom every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He has more creativity in his little finger than most people do in a lifetime. Once the two of you survive his childhood, I see great and interesting things in his future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I needed those chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That kid is made out of 24k Awesome!

    ReplyDelete