Thursday, August 21, 2014

I know a guy

After the other night, my life may just be all downhill from here.

I'm a huge aficionado of the one-hour TV crime drama. Specifically murders. The iconic "dong-dong" of Law & Order is music to my ears.

I love them because they're a narrative puzzle. Breadcrumbs and laid out from the opening frame, and if you're clever (and if the writers don't take any unfair liberties), you can piece it all together before the gavel falls. I can predict "It was the business partner" or "It was the landord" based on a lingering camera shot or an offhand comment during an interrogation scene.

But the other night may have been my life's zenith. I didn't just predict the ending, I said the next line before the actors. I admit, it wasn't the trickiest call. One character said something like, "How will we ever prove that someone has tampered with the videotape which contains our key piece of evidence?" The characters looked intently at each other. And the second character said, as I knew he would, can you guess? ...

"I know a guy."

And can you guess the next scene? Yep. The backroom office, strewn with cables and monitors, of a geeky audio expert.

(Yes! Someone had tampered with the tape. It was a conspiracy!)

5 comments:

  1. Victory!! I love it when I'm smarter than the show (or at least Richard).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't even know how well I know you are a rock star

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Holmes-y of you. Well done. I assume you also watch (and adore) Sherlock? If not, start. It's on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I was going to suggest Sherlock, too. I love a good murder mystery show as well! But I'm not a huge fan of reading them.

    ReplyDelete