Thursday, January 8, 2015

In which I demonstrate a firm grasp of the obvious

Okay, 2014 was a bit of a slog. The endless disappointment of Mark's foot never healing was only the most visible of several challenging, energy-sapping struggles around here. I worked hard to soldier on, but by the end of year, my mental image of myself was of a shrunken, shrewish hag. Rushing from one task to the next, barking orders.

(Of course, that's not a totally fair assessment. But that image is reflected back at me from my children's eyes.)

Around New Year's, as I was driving across the valley to refill pain meds following Mark's surgery, I told my sister on the phone that I was in search of a New Year's resolution--or theme, or word of the year--but I just couldn't think of something that would save me from being such a horrible person.

After much pondering (and more chats with mom and sisters), I did choose a theme for the year and accompanying resolutions.. But here's my favorite. For me, it feels the most revolutionary. And it's the simplest.

Ready?

Stop trying to do impossible things.

Genius, right?

Impossible things like being three places at once. Like doing everything everyone wants me to do, all at the same time. Hard things, yes. Many things, fine. But impossible things. No.

No comments:

Post a Comment